Small talk is often frowned upon; it is a waste of time, superficial, irrelevant and trivial. In some cultural circles, small talk is the first thing to be omitted in profesisonal discussion and calls.
Small talk is some of the biggest talk we’ll do, though!The potential of this communication technique is three-fold: train and use small talk and you’ll win socially, professionally and strategically.
Goals and content
- 3 potential gains of small talk
- Interculturally appropriate topics
- Structural support for small talk
- Word choice, tone and the effect of priming
- Strategic impact on the quality of the intended business interaction